Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Bulletin Boards

One of the ways I help around campus is to decorate the bulletin board in the office. It's one of the first things you see when you enter the office. I realized if I was going to be decorating the bulletin board each month it would be helpful to have a Cricut cutting machine to cut out the needed letters. I added it to my wish list on my newsletter and felt it was a long shot. I prayed about it and asked God to put it on someone's heart if this was an item that would be helpful for me. In October I received a text message from a friend with a photo attached saying my new Cricut Expression 2 was on it's way.

September 2013

In September I created a tree out of a crumpled up paper bag and then added apples with the kid's names and grade level. I didn't get a picture and I'm bummed I didn't have the foresight to document my work of art (or so the office staff referred to the bulletin board I created).

October 2013

In October I was sick and unable to change the bulletin board. This made me sad in more ways than one. I felt bad I wasn't able to do my job of caring for my girls or being creative on the bulletin board. I was also bummed I wasn't able to use my new Cricut, but I made up for it in November.

November 2013


The secretary is Navajo and lent me her Navajo Bible to write out Psalm 107:1 in Navajo. I had to get a little creative with the accent marks because my new Cricut Expression doesn't have accent marks. Not to mention the accent marks in Navajo are a little different depending on where they are located. It's not exactly like a Spanish accent mark all the time. 

For the turkeys I handed my girls craft supplies and asked them to make turkeys. The girls had fun making "king" and "cheerleader" turkeys as well as very colorful turkeys. 

I like this bulletin board decoration. Simple, yet so cool to look at with the Bible verse written out in Navajo. The secretary said parents and grandparents would come into the office and were pleased to see their language on the bulletin board.

December 2013


For Christmas I wanted to put the Bible verse in Navajo again, but I also wanted to add the meaning of Christmas symbols from a Christian perspective and realized I'd run out of room on the small bulletin board. I opted to print out the descriptions and Bible verse. I was told staff, parents and visitors would stand and read the bulletin board. I hope they remember there is more to Christmas than presents and shopping. 

Here's what I found from an online search and added to the bulletin board:

Christmas Tree

Evergreen coniferous trees stand for the ever-burning fire of life. The evergreen attribute signifies man's everlasting hope in Christ, which has been given to mankind by Christ's sacrifice, death and resurrection, to those who believe in Him. The triangular shape is believed to symbolize the holy trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Candles/Lights

Candles or lighting on the tree stands for Jesus Christ who died at Calvary on the cross for the salvation of mankind. he came as light and hope into a dark and doomed world. He came to bind up broken hearts and free those in bondage.

Star

God promised the World a Savior who would come and set humanity free. The star on the tree represents God's fulfillment of the promise He made ages ago, through all the prophets. It also represents the shining hope of mankind that first shone in Bethlehem, leading the wise men to baby Jesus.

Candy Cane

Candy canes represent the shepherd's crook, which helps the shepherd gather his lost and strayed sheep. Our Heavenly Father is our shepherd who eagerly waits for His sheep to turn back to Him. The candy cane can also be turned upside down, wherein it stands for the letter 'J' in Jesus. the red and white sugar coloring stands for Christ's blood and purity, which when brought together make us holy before the Father's eyes. 

Wreath

Christmas wreaths represent the unceasing love of the Father. It shows how God's mercies are new every morning, and how true love has no beginning or end! Wreaths remind us of how privileged we are to have a Father whose love is never-ceasing and unconditional! 

Read and Green Colors of Christmas

Red stands for the fire of the spirit, while green stands for nature and one's life on earth. Red along with green symbolizes the Holy Spirit's union with nature to be incarnate on Earth and save the world. 

Gifts

Gifts hung on the Christmas tree remind us of how we have received the greatest gift on earth, which is 'eternal life' through the blood of Jesus Christ. It reminds us how God gave His all for us and how we are to live our lives for Him on Earth. 

January 2014

I thought I had a picture of January's bulletin board before I took it down to put up February's bulletin board. Bummer. It was Goodness and I had used the Cricut to cut out Goodness and added Bible verses along with a few sparrows cut from the Cricut.

February 2014

Again, I thought I had a picture of February's bulletin board, but apparently I don't. Bummer. I asked the school secretary to translate 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. I realized it was too long to cut out on the Cricut, so I took the descriptive words of love and used them to decorate the bulletin board. I used a pink Sharpie to write their English translation just below each word. 

March 2014


Our theme for the month is Gentleness. I used scrap paper and created a rainbow. I started with purples and moved into blues, greens, yellows, oranges and finally red and pinks. To make the 3D cloud I taped a few pieces of legal sized papers together an then bunched up the edges and stapled them. I stapled the top from underneath to attach it to the bulletin board. Gentleness was cut out using my Cricut. 

April 2014



If you remember April was my month of technical difficulties. My Cricut was being sent in to be repaired and I wasn't sure what I was going to do for April's bulletin board. The theme was Patience. I used my Custom Cutting System from Creative Memories to cut out the flower pedals. the stem was used by using my wavy cutter and the leaves were left over stems cut down. 

May 2014 - April 2015

Apparently I wasn't as good with documenting the bulletin board designs for a year because I have no pictures. I know last summer I had a small scenic scene with a tree and butterflies with the idea that the butterflies could be taken down to count down the weeks before the next school year, but the office staff liked the butterflies they chose to leave them all up all summer long. For the start of the school year I used a Pinterest idea to use puzzle pieces I punched out and wrote all the staff and student's names and grades. I pieced them together and used the Cricut to write out something along the lines of "We fit together at SVIS." I don't remember if I changed the bulletin board in September, but I know I had something different in October, but I can't think of what it was. In November I used the same Thanksgiving design as last year minus the turkey hands, but put up cards that were sent to the school. In December I made a new Christmas banner with Bible verse in Navajo similar to the Thanksgiving bulletin board of the previous year. I know these were saved for future use. I don't remember the others from January to March, but I know I had a some really cute designs. 

April - May 2015


I used Pinterest for inspiration and came across something similar to this chain link rainbow. In the sky the office staff put up cards and letters. This stayed up for a few months while I was sick with pneumonia which resulted with a hospital stay. The office and staff didn't mind because it was so cute. In fact, the secretary asked if she could have the rainbow to put up in her grandson's room. This was one that could stay up for a long while because it was so cute.

June 2015


Another Pinterest inspiration gave me the idea for this bulletin board. The name of our school changed from Sun Valley Indian School to Native American Christian Academy, so I wanted to incorporate the new name and logo. Unfortunately I don't have very many Cricut cartridges and only had one fish to work with, but with different colored and pattered papers I was able to vary them enough to make it work. As I was finishing up this bulletin board the principal walks by and says, "Oh man, who's going to do our bulletin board next year? These have been so creative and something to look forward to as they change." It's a good feeling to know my work hasn't gone unnoticed and has been appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment