Monday, May 11, 2015

End of the Year Awards

This year's end of the year awards.

At the end of every school year the dorm parents and teachers give out awards during the promotion rehearsal. Last year I used the fruit of the spirit and chose a girl who displayed that fruit of the spirit. I printed a certificate with a cute boarder on card stock and called it a day.

Apriel

This year I was thinking about doing the same thing, or something similar like using biblical characters with similar characteristics as the girls, but with being sick and hospitalized I let the thought remain a thought. Then, this weekend I was scrolling through Pinterest and came across a cute idea. I don't know if this idea was better than using biblical characters to describe the girls, but I got an image in my head and the Pinterest idea was cuter. The Pinterest idea was done on a chalkboard background with chalkboard fonts. I went simple with a touch of Miss Alice.

Briana

I headed to the nearest dollar store and found 8.5x11 certificate frames for $1.50. I got the certificate frames so I didn't have to worry about trimming the paper because I knew spacing was going to be an issue with making a boarder. I found some glitter tape for $2 for a pack of two in our school colors and did a little math to make sure I had enough rolls of each color. Unfortunately I had to get 3 packs because the school colors were in different packs. I spent a total of $15, but have glitter tape left over for another project - bonus.

Kanaalah

I then got to work in finding words to describe my girls and used the Villa Didot font which was perfect because the lower case letters were plain and the uppercase letters were more bold and fancy. I tried not using the same word in each name - except for beautiful. I liked this way instead of finding words that begin with each letter of their names because as you can see there are a lot of a's in Navajo names. There were a few that were difficult like the k's, but I managed to find appropriate descriptive words for each of the girls.

Karolina

After printing on white card stock (which I already had so there wasn't an added expense) I added the glitter tape around the edges and got glitter everywhere as glitter is known to do. It took me maybe a half hour to put the tape on the paper and I'm glad I was smart enough to get a ruler and measure out the length before putting it on the paper. This made it easier to slowly peel back the backing and lay out the tape and then start the next color before getting to the end so my corners would be the way I wanted them. The taping process for all six frames was no more than a half hour. I was surprised how quickly I was able to finish these keepsakes for the girls. 

Katelyn

When giving out the awards I will say something the the effect of "Leandreyah gets the Leandreyah award because she is athletic, active, beautiful, kind, delightful, a pleasure, respectful, lovely, amazing and honorable." 

Leandreyah

I love how they are already framed and more than just a piece of paper that may or may not make it home. I'm hoping this will be something they will keep, understand these words are words to describe them and will be a keepsake they will enjoy forever. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I really like the way they turned out... not to mention glitter makes everything better. :)

    ReplyDelete