Monday, October 24, 2011

9 weeks and 3 days later...

Well, I'm happy to report my injury of falling down the stairs is almost 100% healed. I just saw the doctor/surgeon for the last time. I still have some limited range of motion, but with some stretches and exercise it will be back to normal soon. Same thing for my toe. Although he didn't give specific stretches, but just mentioned walking in normal shoes should stretch it out.

While trying to tell him how much better I am I tried explaining how my wrist is better than when I crochet and it starts hurting and looses range of motion. He asked more about that and in a nut shell would like me to hurry and heal so I can crochet and injure myself again so he can check it out. Yes, you heard me right, hurry up and heal so I can injure myself again! He thinks it's tendonitis when I crochet, but would like to examine me to make sure. As far as the injury to my wrist he said it was a bad sprain and didn't have anything to do with previous injuries or conditions.

I'm just thinking back to 9 weeks and 3 days ago and how sad I was and how I wasn't looking forward to the fact I was going to have to learn how to walk without bending my toe and learn not to use my left hand/arm. I wasn't sure how I was going to make it, but I have and I'm proud of myself. I learned to ask for help when I needed it and learned how to do things on my own when no one could help me.

I am proud of my milestones which include carrying a bowl of cereal and glass of juice to the table with one hand and limping the whole way. I'm proud I figured out how to bathe myself with minimal assistance (but I will forever remember Glaphre and Gina helping me the first night... and peeing on Gina... I am sorry about that! But if it makes her feel better it wasn't a lot and probably didn't get on her... well, hopefully). I'm proud I figured out how to drive one handed (but am very grateful for my dad who took me to school for the first month of my last semester in college). I'm proud of creating meals I could cook with one hand (but I am thankful for my mom who would bring me breakfast, lunch, and dinner in bed when it was hard for me to walk and cook one handed). I remember the first night I didn't wear the big boot to bed and how happy I was when I could sleep under the blankets without bumping my toe and it hurting so bad I couldn't sleep! I also had my birthday party where I thought I was going to have to cancel because I wasn't going to be able to put it all together, but family and friends helped and it was such a great night. I'm impressed I've been able to stay in my classes and will still graduate in December (assuming I can get my work done... I'm slowly catching up on those assignments that slipped by in all the hustle and bustle of everything). Overall, this was not something I'd want to do again, but I got through it and I'd like to think I'm stronger than I am on this end than when I first came to the beginning of it all.

TWO thumbs up for TWO thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment