Saturday, October 22, 2011

Somethin' Pumpkin

I love the fall. I read somewhere people tend to like the season they were born in. I don't know if this is true for every one, but it's true for me. I love the cooler weather. You know, the kind where if you forget your sweater it's not a horrible thing, but you kind of wish you hadn't forgotten to grab it on your way out the door. I love the cool colors of fall. The way the muted colors say, "Why hello there, are you ready to eat something pumpkin and enjoy your day?" I love to walk into a restaurant and see how they've tried to incorporate pumpkin into a favorite dish and most of the time succeeding.

I love pumpkin flavored items and since my birthday is in September this is the start of pumpkin flavors on the menu. I like to think this is a happy birthday gesture from all my favorite places to eat - in which I say, thank you!

The one thing I don't like about fall is Halloween. I don't like the scary things everywhere. I tend to watch more of my DVD's during October than any other month because of all the scary themed shows and movies playing on TV. I just don't like Halloween. Well, not all of Halloween, just the spooky scary witches and goblins part. I do enjoy the fact one night a year you can go to your neighbors and ask for candy and they graciously give you some! I love the neighbors who give you a handful of the yummy chocolate candy and only kind of like the neighbors who give you a handful of butterscotch and candy corn... okay, so I really don't like those neighbors, but they do provide me with candy to trade so that brings them back up on my like scale. If I had my way (without being a mean lady) I'd give more candy to the cute kids dressed as super heros, princesses, clowns, cute foods, and any other cute costume and less candy to the kids dressed as mean witches, scary goblins, creepy zombies, and any other unpleasantly frightening costume. I'm thinking I'd have two bowls of candy one of yummy chocolates and the other of icky butterscotch and depending on the choice of costume I'd give candy accordingly. Then again, this would make me the mean lady and I'm sure I'd find unpleasant things thrown at my house, so I'll just stick with the yummy chocolates.

I also enjoy Thanksgiving. I love how I can have a plate of starchy foods and it's not odd. I love being stuffed so full I'm ready for a nap (no tryptophan for me! Unless it's added to tofurkey). I enjoy this is a time where family comes together, but I don't have to stress about presents for everyone and then if they will like their presents. Then again if my Christmas shopping isn't finished before Thanksgiving (really by fall) I'm a little stressed and am frantically thinking of what I'm going to do. Yes, I know, this makes me THAT person who is planning Christmas gifts in the summer, but let me try to explain where I'm coming from. First of all, I'm a very crafty girl and if I come up with something I want to make for everyone (like the fleece blankets for 8 family members or the crocheted beanies for 8 family members and a few extra for gift exchanges) I have to plan ahead so I have time to make them all. The other big thing is by starting early I can pace myself and I'm not hit with a HUGE Christmas gift bill in December. Bonus! Not to mention I'm not frantically going from store to store in the mad rush of Christmas shoppers. Double bonus!

Anyhow, these are the things I love (and a few things I don't) about fall. I'm now going to enjoy something pumpkin and enjoy my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment